
photo collage by trash180
The first patent for the Drive-In Theater (United States Patent.. 1,909,537) was issued on May 16, 1933. With an investment of $30,000, Richard Hollingshead opened the first drive-in on Tuesday June 6, 1933 at a location on Crescent Boulevard, Camden, New Jersey. The price of admission was 25 cents for the car and 25 cents per person.-from about.com.
Looks like we're coming up on the 73rd anniversary, huh?
Now that it's summer it's time for me to make my yearly commitment to go to the drive-in. I rarely make it, but this year I'm doing my research and planning early. It turns out that there are a few sites to help me.
michigandriveins.com has a comprehensive list of theaters and most have some pix.
Dig the Lansing drive-ins...




I used to go to the M-78 as a kid. Of course, they've all been gone for years.
drive-ins.com had a nice list of currently operating drive-ins. Some are open year round!
It looks like the Ford Wyoming in Dearborn might be the most impressive. They say it's the largest in the world...certainly something I'd like to investigate myself...

Originally posted in the scavenger hunt blog.

No comments:
Post a Comment